Monday, October 29, 2012

Making Connections

I was intrigued when I read the “prompt” for this week’s blog post.  After I reviewed my old blogs, I realized that I seem to enjoy reflecting on Shakespeare’s use of characterization.   Furthermore, comparing my old blog posts to the more recent ones illustrates how I’ve grown as a critical thinker throughout this course so far.  I now do not only reflect on how I analyze Shakespeare’s pieces, but also consider how Shakespeare’s audience may have interpreted his work.  Thus, specific concerns in my writing relate to how his original spectators would have viewed his plays.  For instance, in my first post, I write, “Perhaps developing and emphasizing the child-like nature of his characters was one way that he intensified the comedic nature of the play.”  While I do make an insightful comment regarding Shakespeare’s creation of “foolish” characters, I fail to ponder how his original audience may have viewed these people in the play.  However, an examination of my two most recent reflections exhibits my ongoing maturity as a critical thinker.  I note in my October 1, 2012 post, “I am guessing that the women in the audience probably did not view her (Hero) as a feminine hero who rebels against patriarchal authority.  Nevertheless, perhaps women did view her as heroic because she is intelligent, and strong, since she keeps her mouth shut?  Since our society today is so different in terms of equality between men and women, it is hard to determine the reaction of Shakespeare’s female audience.”  Clearly, in this post, I make a much more judicious comparison regarding the way in which Shakespeare’s audience would have construed Hero’s behavior. 

While on the subject of Hero’s character, I would like to mention that one major topic that is present throughout all of my posts involves the characterization of different characters (especially females) throughout the plays.  I also make frequent comparisons between characters, and contemplate the role/status of women in Shakespeare’s society.  In particular, I found my evaluation of Hero and Desdemona extremely interesting.  In my October 13, 2012 entry, I ask, “Is Desdemona’s character intentionally a mirror of Hero?  What is Shakespeare trying to convey through his thoughtful, comparable characterizations of these females?”  After having a wonderful class discussion the following class, I came to the conclusion that Shakespeare probably did purposefully make both characters similar.  I think Shakespeare was interested in exploring the effects of a patriarchal society.  Additionally, I feel as though he may be questioning his society’s status quo in his plays.

Overall, I think that my blogging has tremendously helped me make connections and reflect on what I have read during this course.  It is a way in which I can explore a topic that interests me as I read Shakespeare.  Of course, it also facilitates the growth of my critical thinking skills.  As a future English teacher, I plan to have my students participate in some type of blogging activity, since I have experienced its positive effects.        

No comments: