Sunday, May 15, 2011

Out Darn Spotlight

All right, no laughing (out loud anyway, because you don't want to hurt my feelings) at my pick for this final post.

This is a selection from one of my favorite children's shows, Jimmy Neutron. And, specifically, Jimmy Neutron's "Out Darn Spotlight" which is a Riff on Shakespeare's Macbeth. I say riff because it doesn't really include much from Macbeth, the episode is really about a school production of Macbeth called "Macbeth in Space," that includes some lines from Macbeth, but which really includes a number of other iconic Shakespearian lines from a number of other Shakespeare plays, including lines taken from Richard III and Romeo and Juliet. (It also includes a few Shakespearian sounding lines from Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz for flavor.)

For me this shows just how pervasive Shakespeare's works are in our society, especially when you consider that this is a kid's show and yet it uses so many well known lines from Shakespeare's plays.

Plus, I just love Jimmy Neutron.

Part 1

Part 2

No comments: