Thursday, May 19, 2011

Midterm Blog Post: Make Up

One of the blogging assignments that I missed was the midterm one which was supposed to consists of looking back onto our posts and writing some sort of response. Well, I've just read through them and I find most of the time that my opinions are pretty interesting yet, that I'm usually intimidated by Shakespeare, especially when required to post before beginning class discussion. I found that to be the most difficult thing about posting; I mean, it's tough to just come up with your own opinions about an incomplete reading of a work, but I guess it's an important concept. You can only read something for the first time once, and that may be the only unbiased reading that you can ever truly have. But I found one of my blog posts in particular to be really funny, because I saw that professor Mulready was the only one to comment on it, and you know, of course he has read the play before (a million times), but there I am making this conjecture that turns out to be the primary plot of the story:


“I have a question though, would I be correct in suggesting Claudio's desire for his sister Isabella to flirtatiously insinuate sexual desire for Angelo? I mean, the tick-tack comment is explained to us by the Norton Anthology's footnotes, but does he wish her to do absolutely anything she must in order to keep him alive?”


I think it's pretty funny to look back and see myself wrestling with this idea that ends up being the main conflict of the rest of the work. But as for other observations, I'm pretty satisfied at least with my ability when not able to grasp a work, to still look to those things which I can understand by focusing on little things in the dialogue and such, showing that I'm not inept because of my inability to understand things (I think it proves that maybe being a little confused doesn't mean much). It's comforting, in retrospect, that I can still make decent observations even when I'm stuck. And that's encouraging.

No comments: