Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tragic Ending: Siblings At War

When I read the last act of King Lear I was shocked by all the lives taken. We first get the fight between Edgar and Edmund. The outcome is Edmund is hurt severly and on the verge of death. In act 5 scene 3 line 161, Edmund displays a speech where he forgives Edgar for hurting him.

"What you have charged me with, that have I done;/And more, much more; the time will bring it out./'Tis past, and so am I. But what art thou/ That hast this fortune on me? If thou 'rt noble,/ I do forgive thee."

Edmund has finally got what he deserves and is slowly coming to terms with his actions.

Next we get the infamous sisters, Goneril and Regan. A Gentleman interupts everyone and explains their deaths. 5.3.222-226 Gentleman: " ' Tis hot, it smokes,/ it came even from the heart-O, she's dead!" Albany:" Who dead? Speak, man." Gentleman:" Your lady, sir, your lady! and her sister/ By her is poisoned; she hath confessed it.

I thought this was crazy because Goneril poisoned Regan, but went and committed suicide. Then we find out Cordelia was hung because of Edmunds orders. All the siblings that were fighting for an inheritance died. The sad part is only one true son, Edgar was able to live unlike Cordelia who was true to her father since the begining. This was my least favorite part because I wanted to see her prevail and claim her rightful part in taking her inheritance. The most shocking part of the ending was Albany was left in charge of everyones inheritance. I am glad he shared with Edgar and Kent. Moral of this play is expect the worst and embrace whatever good comes out of it.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I agree, Michelle. I hated the ending because I thought Cordelia was going to gain her inheritance like she deserved. We all feel that the villains: Edmund, Oswald, Cornwall, and Goneril and Regan should be the ones dead in the end, but then the virtuous characters: Lear, Cordelia, and Gloucester, all die as well. This ending was full of depression.

Tony Mancini said...

You're right, it is intriguing that Goneril would stab herself after poisoning her sister. The thing is, Goneril witnesses Edmund fight Edgar, which was after she poisoned Regan. She might have realized that Edmund was mortally wounded, so she just offered herself in a moment of passion.