Monday, March 14, 2011

Falstaff is one of the most interesting characters in King Henry IV. He is a thief, and described as fat, old, and lazy, to name a few. What’s so ironic about Falstaff’s character is that he is Harry’s mentor, giving him advice and as someone to look up to. Yet Falstaff drinks all day and steals, nothing that a prince should be surrounded with.

Falstaff, though a knight, doesn’t seem to care about anything, except drinking and stealing, and his dialect shows him to be more of a comedic character, often entertaining;

FALSTAFF: Yea, for obtaining of suits, whereof the hangman

Hath no lean wardrobe. ‘Sblood, I am as melancholy

As a gib cat or a lugged bear. (I.ii.177)

When the robbery for Gad’s Hill is discussed, Falstaff asks Harry to come along. Again, here we have not so great of an influence. Although Harry declines at first, he changes his mind and eventually goes along with the plan. The relationship between Harry and Falstaff is also a little strange but humorous;

FALSTAFF: Now, Hal, what time of day is it, lad?

HARRY: Thou art so fat-witted, with drinking of old sack
and unbuttoning thee after supper and sleeping upon
benches after noon, that thou hast forgotten to 115
demand that truly which thou wouldst truly know.
What a devil hast thou to do with the time of the
day? Unless hours were cups of sack and minutes
capons and clocks the tongues of bawds and dials the
signs of leaping-houses and the blessed sun himself 120
a fair hot wench in flame-coloured taffeta, I see no
reason why thou shouldst be so superfluous to demand
the time of the day. (I.ii.113)

Falstaff also offers such a nonchalant lifestyle, making him so different from most of the characters. He lies and is a criminal, but has fun along the way and seems to live an easy, simple life. I really like Falstaff so far, even though he isn’t the greatest influence for Harry, but he is laid back and a clever sort of humor to read.

Oh, not to mention the interesting Romeo and Juliet reference at II.ii.770:

FALSTAFF: Whew! A plague upon you all! Give me my horse, you
rogues; give me my horse, and be hanged!

2 comments:

estaats said...

I agree, I really like Falstaff. I feel like he does bring a sense of light-heartedness to the play. He definitely strikes you as the laid back guy who takes things in stride. I don't believe the play would be as funny if it weren't for his character.

Cyrus Mulready said...

You pick out some great Falstaffian moments here, Zan! I also appreciate your notice of Falstaff as a kind of "mentor" to Harry. This is a key point in the play--the competing "fathering" we see between Falstaff and the king.