Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Prospero's Epilogue

In the reading questions this week we were prompted to examine the epilogue delivered by Prospero. Throughout this play Prospero has been a strong, driving force as well as an empowered character. He has magical powers and it seems that he can manipulate his island world in most any way in order to reach his goals. Despite all the power he possesses, Prospero is still held on the island against his will. It was never his choice to be a magical island ruler and therefore he is captive as well as powerful. Here in this epilogue we get a completely different style and feeling from him. Prospero is reduced to pleading for his freedom. He beseeches the audience to forgive him as they would all like to be forgiven, so that he can be free.
I also stumbled across a strangely animated BBC presentation of the Tempest. Enjoy

5 comments:

Lauren Brois said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren Brois said...

What a great video! It's super odd but quite informative!

Tiffany Atchison said...

I agree! I found Prospero to have strong powers throughout the play up until the epilogue. It didn't occur to me that he was being held against his will on the island. I thought that he just remained there until it was time for him to seek his revenge on Antonio. However, his epilogue made me believe that he was actually powerless due to his plea for freedom.

emilyk said...

Although we have discussed Prospero's epilogue in class, the way you worded it helped me to get an even better understanding of it. I knew that he was stranded on the island and that he asks the audience to free him but only because that's what the text says. However, when you say that "it was never his choice to be a magical island ruler", I really got a clear understanding of how he is there against his own will. I guess I just got caught-up in all of his glamorous magic and sorcery and lost track of the fact that although he is extremely powerful, he never actually asked for it.

Gianna said...

This is epic, and weird in all the right ways!!!!!! One day when I do not have so much work I wish to watch this whole thing with you. It reminds me of rakin and bass christmas movies. I really love the ship scene.