Thursday, October 21, 2010

Twelfth Night - Sunday afternoon on campus

I attended the campus's presentation of Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" on campus last Sunday afternoon. While some seem to have mixed reviews, I was overall impressed with the show. I thought the actors did a great job of getting into their characters and the time period.

The actors did a great job of portraying that "Twelfth Night" was indeed a comedy and seeing it acted out after reading it really reinforced that factor. Small things such as facial expressions and gestures can really help the audience understand the intentions of the actor and character better. I found the characters of Feste, Sir Toby and Sir Andrew especially comedic and they really reinforced how important that seeing emotion rather than reading it is, the sarcasm and overall silliness of these characters defines who they are.

I also found the fact that Cesario/Viola was kept in men's clothing for the ending of the play (such as we discussed in class where some versions show her back in women's clothing). Subtle observations like this and relating them to our class discussions provided me with an overall better understanding of the play. Overall I would say, especially for a college production, the cast did a great job of performing one of Shakespeare's masterpieces.

No comments: