Wednesday, October 20, 2010

SUNY New Paltz Twelfth Night

I saw the production of Twelfth Night at New Paltz some time before the actual production opened because i was working on the wardrobe crew and would be backstage for all performances. As an actor I always feel that plays are meant to be seen rather than read and seeing this production once again supported my opinion. When we read Shakespeare it is easy to miss things like subtle jokes and sarcastic statements but while watcing this performance and hearing the audience reaction each night I can say that the cast of Twelfth Night found all the laughs. Probably my favorite thing about being an actor is the connection made between cast members. It shines through in the performance when a cast had made that connection, especially in a comedy. Sir Toby, Sir Andrew, Feste, and Mariah had a great energy between them and really nailed the comedic timing in their scheming.
I felt that the cast, some more than others, had a wonderful grasp on the language which is arguably the most important element of Shakespeare. Specifically, Viola, Olivia, Feste, and Mariah had a colloquial elementa bout their speech and that shows great understanding of the language and of each sentence. I think that is the most telling judge of a Shakespearean actor and for the most part this college cast did a great job.

No comments: