Thursday, May 13, 2010

King Lear - Laurence Olivier Act 2, Scene 2



I chose this video because I thought the performance by Laurence Olivier as King Lear was an excellent one. In the scene, we see Lear slowly losing his sanity and being disrespected by his daughters. The way he continuously raises and lowers his voice during the scene works very well. There are, however, several times during the scene where I'm not sure if I should be laughing for not. Maybe it's just me, but the way Olivier delivers some of the lines is very comedic, which is an interesting choice for the scene, but also effectively shows his sanity degrading.

A couple of questions:

Would the scene be more effective if it was more serious? Or maybe more comedic?

Should we be feeling pity for Lear during this scene?

No comments: