Thursday, May 13, 2010

Citizen Macbeth

My computer is giving me trouble when I try to post the video directly, so here's a link:

Orson Welles' Macbeth

I am both a lit snob and a movie snob, so when I see the name "Orson Welles" and "Macbeth" together, I get very excited. I haven't yet seen the whole movie, but if it it anything like the opening, then, well... it's definitely an Orson Welles movie. Only Orson Welles can read MacBeth and decide that it screams "film noir". Also, can anyone else figure out what it is that the witches are holding in the end?

I am not sure exactly how I feel about his interpretation of the witches; certainly, it is not the same as my own. However, the interesting thing about theater is that people can interpret the same scene in completely different ways, while still remaining true to the story. After seeing this scene, I definitely plan on seeing the rest. If he interprets the opening in this way, I can only imagine how Lady Macbeth will be portrayed.

Questions:

A. Many of Shakespeare's plays can be viewed reflecting his own time as well is remaining interesting now. Does this come across in this video?

B. Are the witches in Macbeth the same as witches from a horror story, or are they something else?

C. Shakespeare's plays were originally performed with little to no set. Does the setting and the usage of the smoke enhance this scene, or is it distracting?

No comments: