Friday, April 16, 2010

Lear's Daughters=Interesting...

I found this performance of "Lear's Daughters" to be quite interesting, especially the way it was written. I did like the fact that each daughter identified themselves with an object in the beginning that lead to a description of their overall characters. From what I can remember about Shakespeare's play, I do think Cordelia was sort of played down in a sense here, in the fact that this play portrayed her as if she were being so loyal to her father just because she was the favorite. I don't think that worked particularly well. I actually quite liked the fool, while I know that others didn't. The scenes I thought were most interesting were the ones in which the fool spoke for King Lear and the sick mother. I'm not quite sure I've exactly figured out yet what that was supposed to signify because it sort of threw me. King Lear was definitely a fearful, creepy character, especially since he was sitting right in front of me laughing for most of the performance. I don't remember much about "King Lear", but I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be that scary. The parts I didn't enjoy were the abortion scene, although the screaming was very believable, and the pseudo-spoken word screaming scenes. I was trying to focus in but I just found it to be obnoxious banter after a while. I highly commend the actors because I think that it was actually a difficult play to perform and they did it extremely well, but overall I didn't find the play itself very satisfying.

No comments: