Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Poor, Poor Richard

So sorry this is late!
Upon finishing Richard II, the question of who's really the good guy and who's really the bad guy has an unclear answer. Is it fair to say that Richard has redeemed himself for being such a horrible king by realizing that he is no better than the commoners? Or is this "woe is me" act just that? Is Bolingbroke still the better man for punishing Richard's killer and leaving on a pilgrimage? Or is this, too an act? In my opinion, it's hard to like either of these men when looking at their actions throughout the play.

Richard is the easiest of the two men to rip apart because of his indecision and cruelty. He reminds me of a less loony but still annoyingly stupid Hamlet, except Hamlet always sounded like a teenager to me so I had a tendency to forgive him. Richard, on the other hand and especially in his final scene, sounds older and older and older. By the time he has his final speech, I had to keep reminding myself that he was thirty and not fifty. This slow slump into misery and recognition of his own failures led Richard to grow up a bit and take responsibility. This does not absolve him of those failures but it leaves the audience with a different, more sympathetic picture of Richard after he is killed. Perhaps it is because he is alone in the castle, away from the "riffraff" he surrounded himself with. After calling Bolingbroke out for treating commoners as equals, he tells a Groomer that they are worth the same amount. Richard is teeth-grindingly insufferable until the final act, when his humanity and humility finally shine through. Is it all an act? Why would he fake it? He has nothing left. I like to think it truly is a revelation.

Bolingbroke, on the other hand, seems to remain the same from beginning to end: he is the sweet, sweet lemondrop on top of Richard's melting ice cream...on the surface. I found a very interesting argument from Irving Ribner that states Bolingbroke's ascension to the throne is a pure demonstration of Machiavellian philosophy. Bolingbroke causes internal unrest among Richard's followers, he takes power in a time of turmoil, he makes Richard give up power instead of simply taking it himself, he kills many of those faithful to Richard after he receives the crown, and he has Richard killed at the end of the play. Even his trip to the Holy Land is Machiavellian because the philosophy states that rulers must appear pious. Bolingbroke is the real wolf of the play, choosing to hide in sheep's clothing, while Richard was the coyote, scrounging around trying to find something to latch onto.

If I had to choose which man to support, I would choose Richard. It's hard to read the first few acts of this play and like Richard and even harder to predict that one would by the end. Bolingbroke is, on the surface the better man. He does everything right to win the support of the audience. However, once his actions are given a good twice-over, his boy scout persona quickly falls apart. He wanted Richard killed and punished Exton to save face. That's the bottom line. Richard may not be the picture of a good Englishman, but at least he was honest and open with his failures and bad deeds. Bolingbroke will sit on his thrown with the Cheshire Cat smile, knowing he tricked everyone.

Sarah Bras

4 comments:

Hannah said...

I definitely agree that I feel a lot of pity for Richard. As I began the play, I didn't feel the hate for him that I think I was supposed to. Additionally, I kept getting confused as to which character was supposed to be the good guy and which was supposed to be the bad guy. I didn't feel like Bolingbroke would be that much better of a leader than Richard, and he seemed like an unlikely hero from the beginning of the play to me.

ocelis said...

I agree that there is no clear cut good guy or bad guy in this play. When the play started Bolingbroke seemed to be the obvious choice for the heir to the crown, but as the play continues on he seems to be just as bad as Richard II. Bolingbroke sets off saying he does not seek the crown, he is only looking to regain control of his property. He goes against this when he kills Richard's followers and in a way shows his true colors.

Hannah Banana said...

I also think I felt more sympathy toward Richard in the end. It’s a hard call though— both Bolingbroke and Richard seem to be pretty corrupt and deserving of any bad fortune that comes their way. In regard to Richard though, I think it’s hard not to feel bad for anyone who rather gracefully accepts defeat and loss. I also felt particularly bad for Richard because his identity was so tied up with his kingship that who he is has been forever ‘shattered’ as demonstrated by the mirror scene.

ladida said...

I do feel sympathetic toward Richard, but I think that my hatred of Bolingbroke's lies and hypocrisy only serves to magnify that. It is actually kind of confusing for me because I've always believed that if I had to choose between a leader who governed effectively and one who didn't, I would choose the effective one because he is the "good" one. I've always thought that it would be easy for me to divorce a leader's personal life or personality from his political life and actions. I can't do that with this play, though, because Shakespeare conflates the character's personal lives with their public identities: the reason Bolingbroke is a good leader is because he's a good liar. Not only does this reflect today's state of politics, but it also makes me question why it is that I really vote for one person rather than another. It kind of creeps me out to think that if I lived in 14th century England that I would be a loyalist (ugh). I've always found the rebels to be so much more appealing.