Tuesday, March 9, 2010

King Richard II Act IV

Within Act 4 of King Richard II, Bolingbroke and his officers, Aumerle, Bagot, Fitzwalter, and Surrey all get into a heated argument over the conspiracy to kill with Richard to kill Thomas Mowbray. As they argue each individual successively 'throws down his gage' (which I assumed meant a glove based on the wild west duels I saw on cartoons growing up) to duel each other. This scene came off as pretty funny to me picturing each man throwing down his glove to make a statement especially when Aumerle throws down a second gage after he's already thrown his. The actions here reminded me of Act 1 scene 1 in which Bolingbroke and Mowbray challenge each other to a duel only to result in both of their banishment by King Richard.

Not only does this scene recall the duel challenge of scene 1 act 1 between Bolingbroke and Mowbray but it also foreshadows what is to come in scene 5. It is in scene 5 that Bolingbroke re-enacts Richards crime resulting in the murder of King Richard himself.

Later on in scene 4 I was surprised when Richard gives up his crown to Bolingbroke. It seems as though Richard parts with the crown almost too easily. I would have expected him to put up a much greater fight than he does when he parts with it. All it takes is a fairly straightforward request from Bolingbroke. As he gives up the crown, Richard goes off on a long speech to Bolingbroke. This speech made my like Richard a little bit more. I imagine this was Shakespeare's goal as he gives Richard an elegant step down from the thrown as he delivers his wordy speech full of imagery.

2 comments:

Nikki D said...

I also thought the glove scene was very funny to picture. When I read what you wrote about Richard giving up the crown, I immediately thought about what was said in class. I was also surprised because we automatically think of Richard as a lying, backstabbing figure. He is someone who is very difficult to trust, and I think that it comes as a big shock when he actually gives up the crown.

Cyrus Mulready said...

When played, this can be a really funny scene. It is also a kind of mocking version of the opening scene of the play--perhaps showing us a decline in the chivalric values that open the drama??